Former Members, Descendants Preserving History of Old Zion Church
The Dillon Herald, Tuesday, May 11, 1993, page 9
(this article appeared in the Marion Star Mullins Enterprize)
A recent legacy form the will of Mrs. Sara Rogers Cain, a life-long member of Old Zion Church, has sparked the interest of former members and descendants to expand renovations and use of the building.
The history of the church dates to 1852 when Needham Perritt gave land to be the site of a Methodist Church near Zion in Marion County. The War Between the States forced a delay in construction of the building, which was finally completed in 1866.
Men and women of the community worked jointly to complete the structure, as local families supplied material, food and laborers.
Part of the lumber was supplied by the Lane sisters, Nancy Ann Lane, Ida Lane, Mary Lane, and Sally Lane Bryant, the latter the wife of David Bryant. The Lane sisters went into the wood and helped rive the shingles for the roof. They also gave the heart of pine used in the sills.
During the construction period, Tom Moody was serving as pastor. An anecdote remember through years concerned a disgruntled member who asked the pastor if he didn't think the Lane sisters should be put of of the church since they were not contributing money for the project. Moody is reported to have replied. “They are giving more than anyone for they are giving their time and material. When you start putting anyone ot of the church, you can get another pastor”
Bu 1959, the sanctuary was in poor condition and needed repairs. The Sunday School rooms attached to the back were in similar condition.
Mrs. E. A. Beeson provided funds to restore the sanctuary and the Sunday School rooms were razed. Mrs. Beeson also spearheaded an annual meeting on the first Sunday in May each year for former members to gather for a service the first Sunday in May each year for former members to gather for a service and program.
Through the years repairs have been made with sills replaced and brick pillars placed to undergird the building. Through donations, the church has been painted and the adjacent cemetery kept clean.
Donations are still needed according to members and may be sent to Gerladine Brigman, Route 1, Box 512, Marion, SC 29571.
Trustees of the church plan additional meetings each year and ongoing caretaker role. These trustees include Owen Beeson as chairman, Woodrow Perritt, Leon Perritt, Lavern Huggins, Marilyn Campbell, Geraldine Brigman and Vera Maready.
Note: Both Geraldine Brigman and Vera Maready has recently died. Do not know of the other trustees.